Tuesday 27 November 2012

In Progress - Red - Patterns

Gods, that's a lot of pictures.... anyway. I'm planning on using skirt B for Red, but after studying the pattern, I'm making it at the A/C length and then tacking it up. It's only a skirt hook and eye, something I used in abundance in my last costuming foray. I found a lovely crushed velvet at Designer fabrics, that just a perfect shade of red. The instructions on first run through were odd for the waistband, but I suppose it's trying to make it a gathered drawstring waist or something. I might change that to a simpler band to cut down the bulk, and fix the gathers in place so I don't have to constantly work about it spinning and shifting.


 Hey! It's a cloak! And the future destiny of the 7 metre bolt of red corduroy in the basement. Red's cape fabric is a paaaaaaaaaaaaain. Her embossed velvet cape is next to impossible to find precisely without paying through the nose for it, while her plainer cloak is clearly wool. The idea of wearing a huge woolen cloak makes me itch just thinking about it. So I found a corduroy, with a faint floral threading through it, and decided that Red would approve of this choice. My wallet also approved of the price. It's going to be lined in some costume satin which has more weight than just acetate, save for the hood which I'm going to selfline in the corduroy. And did you know that to prevent yourself from choking on your cape, you pull the ties under your armpits and tie them around your back? 'cause I only figured that out after staring at the character's armpits for a long time. I actually tested it when my friend went as Lady Loki at FanEx and we were making her own cape.
What is it with Red and her complex fabrics? I have a brocade for this, which I'm...okay with. It's not....

...suddenly, Gangnam style blasted through the house. Groovy.

Anyway. It's not perfect. It will do. But ehh....we'll see. I have cut the neckline of the pattern into more scooped shape, which will be easily enough, and change the lacing in the front to clasps. The back is fitted with lacings at the lower back so it should be able to retain the fittest shape.

The only thing I don't have a pattern for is the overskirt featured in the season two promo pic.




I really like that overskirt. The underskirt is where I got the idea for the tacked up skirt that isn't present on the other costume. But that sort of....midbust corset would NOT work for my chest. Hence the mishmash. But once again, that fabric. Where does Ed and his design team get his fabric? I wanna go there....with a magical Visa card that doesn't ever run out....Ah, C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment